Well, I can honestly say that this book really did surprise me! I though that this was going to be more like a mixture between Cinderella and the Little mermaid, but boy was I wrong! It was so much more than that, not that I am not a fan of those two stories.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Well this was just such a fun story to read! You begin by meeting Katriana (Tri), and her adorable shark familiar. Seriously, the shark was adorable and stole the show in certain parts of the story. He is big am menacing but he is a lover and not a fighter. Katriana on the other hand is a fighter.
She was born into a wealthy family but her mother died when she was young and her father eventually ended up remarrying. One day he was sent out on a mission by the royal family and he never came back. This of course allowed her wicked step mother to cast her off in the servant quarters and pretty much treat her like crap while giving her own daughter everything that she could ever could ever want. Sound enough like Cinderella for you?
Well buckle up because things are about to change! When Tri becomes older (16 I believe) the mermaid trials begin. This is a competition that occurs every 100 years and every eligible Mer get to compete and get a position working for the royal family. The most coveted position would allow the Mer to be able to live on land and have legs. Of course this is the position that Tri wants to most. Unfortunately, she is at a disadvantage because she doesn’t even have proper armor, but that all changes when a mysterious benefactor gives her a gift…
As usual I am not going to give away too much of the story but beware there are slight spoilers ahead.
- The portions of story taking place during the trials were fantastic. They were very suspenseful and really pulled you in.
- The romance between Dane and Tri was done really well…..and by that I mean that it was NOT the main focus of the story. In fact it was very minor and it was wonderful to see their friendship evolve first.
- Most of the story was pretty fast paced, and even though this was the first book in the series you aren’t left with a major cliff hanger. You actually got a complete story that left you satisfied and wanting more.
- The beginning was a bit slow moving but once you get to the trials it gets better.
- There wasn’t too much information on this version of the mermaid world. There was some magic that they wielded but you don’t really get much more of this world. I really wish we could have heard more about that, but there will be more books so I assume we will get more background in those.
I really enjoyed this book! I love mermaid lore and this book had a great spin on it. I enjoyed the mermaid trials, it reminded me of the Goblet of Fire (I’m talking about Harry Potter of course). I loved that the romance was very organic. There was no “love at first sight” or the word love at all. It focused on a girl and her dreams, and nothing was going to stop her….not even a little crush. This is a wonderful read for girls everywhere.
~17 books down 18 Minimum to go! Mount Bona, I have you in my sights~