Ok so wow. All I can honestly say it wow. So when I was looking at this book as a reading option what caught me was the line: The story of a girl facing a forest that has brought mythical spirits to life. Right there I was very interested. I mean, I really am a sucker for a story about mythical spirits and this book delivered!Seriously, after I was done reading it I had to text my sister and tell her that she needed to read this book. So let’s just get straight into this review.
Author: N.K Blazevic # of Pages: 306
Star rating: 5 out of 5!!!!
The story follows a girl by the name of Paiva, a peasant who lives in the land of Grimenna. In this land there are good and bad spirits that or battling for control over man. In the beginning man worshiped these spirits but then they grew arrogant and forgot about the spirits in favor of a new god. Unfortunately, the spirits did not forget about man and sent creatures out to bring fear back into their hearts.
Paiva was living a normal life until these creatures started to attack her and her family. She had no other choice but to find a way to stop these creatures from destroying everything…that is where her adventure begins. Paiva has no choice but to hold on to her greatest weapon, her hope, and find a way to save not only her family, but all of Grimenna.
- I cannot stress enough about how beautifully written this book is. The mythos that Blazevic created for this book is amazing. It had the feel of darker fairy tales told in the past. It set the stage for an epic tale with many twists and turns.
- The characters were remarkable! Every character had a backstory that made them feel real. There are even some stories that will bring a tear to your eye. I am not kidding there was one part near the end where there were tears.
- It’s a page turner. I had trouble putting the book down because I needed to know what was going to happen next. Seriously, even when there were slower parts in the book you wanted to keep reading because nothing was as it seemed.
- Paiva. At first you think that she is going to be another love sick girl. It starts off with her talking about the warden’s son and how she thought he was beautiful, so I assumed the worst but no! She was not this bubbly foolish girl she was so much more!
- I honestly can’t think of anything negative to say. Were there a couple of parts that were slow? Yes, but those parts did not last long at all.
Overall: I adored this book. I loved the myth of Grimenna’s spirits. I loved that the main character was not a bubbly girl who gets saved….She ends up being stronger than even she knows. There is also a message woven into the story about courage and hope, and how combined those two can conquer anything. This is honestly one of the best books that I have read all year so far.